Sunday, October 12, 2008

iPod Playlists, Right and Wrong

Sometimes the musical gods get it right, and other times, well...

Some weeks ago I was taking a night stroll through Times Square. Times Square is gaudy and touristy and unbearable during the day, but at night, it's still amazing. I have no interest in going to Vegas but Times Square at night makes me understand why people get sucked in there. As I walked up Broadway that particular night, just as I was under all the electric dizziness of the billboards, my iPod reached the crescendo of Tears for Fears' "Head Over Heels." If you've ever watched Donnie Darko, it should come as now surprise that this nearly forgotten bit of 80s culture can be strangely affecting, and this was exactly the right circumstance.

Fast forward to last Thursday. I'm riding home on the Q, and as I stare out the train window at the Financial District, the choir singing the fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th in my early reached the high point of "Ode to Joy."

Cruel world.

No comments: