Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Pages

tagged by Amanda, so

1. One book that changed your life?
All right, eat this: it's the Christian Bible. Or, how to stop thinking and let a book tell you what to do. Like it or not, I can't take away the fact that in high school I falsely decided I was an evangelical Christian. Honest mistake. Could've happened to anyone. I know the preferred reading of this question is something that opened your mind or expanded your horizons, but a work can do the exact opposite and still change your life. That said, I don't want to disparage it as worthless bunk; taking Early Christianity helped me shed my old readings and grow a new appreciation. But an appreciation is not a like, and the Bible to me will always be like an ex-girlfriend I resent. I may recognize objectively that she's got a lot of good qualities, but after our history, she's dead to me.

2. One book you've read more than once?
Brave New World

3.
One book you would want on a desert island?
Catch-22. Because I wouldn't care if I were rescued, seeing as how life is not only relentlessly circumstantial but also criminally insane.

4. One book that made me laugh?
Hitchhiker's Guide. Talk about a friendship litmus test.

5. One book that made you cry?
Books don't make me cry. It's not that they're aren't deserving of deep emotion. It's that they can't match say what the mixed media of TV or movies or the depth of sound of music. Watching Schindler's List would make me cry, reading it wouldn't. Advertisters, the devil's representatives on Earth, understand this.

6. One book you wish had been written?
St. Peter's tell-all smash bestseller about behind the scenes with JC, and why St. Paul's such a stooge.

7. One book you wish had never been written?
The Scarlet Letter. Turning high school kids off to literature for a century at least. Screw you, Hawthorne.

8. One book you are currently reading?
Bob Dylan's Chronicles. I just started it in Lincoln and should finish. I like it. Like me, he's starting out in a different city, just because that's where he wanted to be. I also like this period of Bob's life because he's an anti-Citizen Kane. He fucks people over and uses them, but in the end they still worship him.

9. One book you've been meaning to read?
Fever Pitch. It's about Arsenal, and the English Premier League starts in less than two weeks.

10. Tag Five People.
I don't want to. Take it at your own perogative.

Take it back. I tag Lee.

1 comment:

loveleethought said...

Your wish has been granted, Mr. Moseman.

P.S. I miss you.