Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cream and Voyeur

Cambridge can be frightfully true to its stereotypes at times. I've been feeling like getting out of the house to go to work at a coffee house today, but they're so far. If you search for them in Cambridge on Google maps, it shows you a whole circle around Harvard, a couple in Central Square (about halfway between here and Harvard), and none at MIT. Not one. Apparently there used to a 24-hour coho in the top floor of the union, but it closed down some time ago. So just as you imagined, sweater-vested Harvardites are working and socializing over latte, and MIT students are hunkered down over bland desks with poor lighting, chugging Mountain Dew.

I could go to Central Square, but I'm in the midst of fixing my bike and the back wheel isn't set correctly yet. As I promised myself, I purchased the half-price subway pass from MIT starting March 1, so after that I'm going to spend more time in other parts of the city, especially Harvard Square, because MIT is frankly depressing. I've been over this ground before in regards to architecture. In general it provides a poor writing environment for me, and nothing gives me writer's block or malaise more than searching in vain for my right Zen. Some people would have no problem working in my room. It's quiet. It has a decent view. But it has no ambiance, mostly because I didn't try -- my roommate isn't neat, which discouraged me from being, so basically it's a mess. On the thirteenth of February I get to move into a single room, which I think will help my mood a lot.

Judging from online pet-peeve lists (and Family Guy non-sequiturs), people don't think too much of those who work on their laptop in public places -- a need to be seen, or some rot. Look, I don't need you to watch me in order to be good. I just hate being in my room. Perhaps I should just join the proud Cambridge tradition of embracing stereotype. They do have a bar here that's called "People's Republik." So I suppose I'll pack up my computer and try to find the Espresso Royale in Back Bay, so people can have the experience of watching me work.

No comments: