Saturday, November 24, 2007

Back from Philly.

If you've got the time, the train is the way to go. Snack car, leg room, power outlets -- it's nice. I am a fan. By the end of the six hours I was pretty damn happy to be back in Boston, though. And I feel plenty bad for the crew --- they were cleaning up the train, turning around and going right back to D.C.

Philadelphia was cool, as were M.R. and John Wenz. I did some walking around Penn, which is a beautiful campus, especially in stark contrast to MIT's interconnected bunkers and leaky Frank Gehry building. Penn is a delightful mix of old-fashioned ivy-on-brick and tinted stone. Not all brick like some places. And not all stone like Northwestern. Just right.

I ate perhaps the best lamb wrap sandwich I've ever had at a Middle Eastern place in their neighborhood. I ate Chick-Fil-A. Oh, and I ate a duck. It was absolutely delectable, thanks to John. I'm a big fan, and I try to incorporate duck into my diet whenever possible. We watched lots and lots of X-Files, met Jersey boys, shopped in South Philly, and had a generally nice time.

Now I have to try and break out of my train-staring-out-the-window happiness and get down to writing papers about NAFTA and getting psyched up to return to classes. Yuck.

No comments: