Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Three rules for 8-hour retail shifts

1. Comfortable shoes.
2. Lots-o caffeine.
3. Know just enough to be quasi-competent, but not enough that anyone can get anything other than menial tasks out of you.

Learned all three after day one, a day in which I didn't wear comfortable shoes, didn't have any caffeine and manned the desk with another rookie also named Andrew, despite the fact neither of us really had any clue how to do anything. It reminded me a lot of my first night at Subway, when after standing for probably twice as long as I ever had in my life, I crashed on the couch in front of sweet, sweet Baseball Tonight. We don't have cable anymore, so I just drank, wrestled the dog and passed out.

Day two was better. I still hate feeling like a helpless dope, but I don't want to know too much either. Just had me the ladder and point me the way.

Starting to move my stuff into my summer house tomorrow. It'll be nice not to have to drive 35 minutes each way to work, and to be able to watch Baseball Tonight with no shirt on and an Old Style in each hand -- the way summer was meant to be.

Listening to the Band right now. I don't know if you do, but you should. I've tried to explain to people about the Band before, and couldn't make them understand. When you listen to it, it's hard to say what, if anything, is special about it, but over many listens it whispers its sweet Canadian mysticism to me. Try it, if you haven't. And if you think you're cool enough, listen to Neil Young.

You probably aren't.

3 comments:

Vanessa Skocz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vanessa Skocz said...

I mispelled a word in the previous comment so I deleted it. I'm glad you're getting the right frame of mind at the Nebraska Bookstore. I didn't and boy did that suck. At least you won't have to worry about working on game days, that always sucked.

Anonymous said...

I'm so not cool enough for Neil Young. And I didn't get the job. But I'm OK with it; less stress could be good.